Wednesday 13 May 2015

OUGD505 - Product, Range, Distribution - Yorkshire Wildlife Park Information Boards

On a recent trip to Yorkshire Wildlife park, I took the below photo's of information boards around the zoo.

 

 

 

 

Their somewhat quirky design in therms of colours and fonts suggests to me that they were aimed at children. Aiming information boards at children in a zoo is a bit daft, because most kids are normally running around being too excited about the animals to to care about information boards. Throughout the day I saw only a handful of adults reading the boards too, and this is probably because the childish design put them off.

By adding a digital element to the boards, children are more likely to engage with the information, which then means that the design off the board can be more geared towards adults, engaging everyone more than previously.

 

 

 

 

I resized and distorted the boards to make them flat, which meant I could lay them on top of each other to try and figure out what grid they used.

I found that there was just enough consistency between the columns to make out a 6 column grid, but when I tried finding any pattern in the rows, I found nothing.

 

 

Because of the inconsistencies in rows I decided to set up a grid that worked around the aspect ration of the screen size I was designing for, and found that a 6x9 grid fitted this perfectly. On top of this, the large number of rows leaves me with plenty of options when it comes to the positioning of images and text.



No comments:

Post a Comment