Tuesday 19 May 2015

OUGD505 - Covered - Evaluation

General Comments

I discovered Nietzsche doing some research for COP, and was very interested in thoughts initially, despite them not being particularly relevant to my COP this year. I knew I wanted to involve him heavily in COP next year as a learning experience for myself, and I saw this brief as an opportunity to get a head start on my reading for my dissertation research. In this sense I wasn’t sure if I should pick The Antichrist or Thus Spoke Zarathustra, as these were the two books that I was initially attracted to Nietzsche by. From a Graphic Design sense, The Antichrist left me with more options because of the connotations of the title. This was probably the brief I’ve enjoyed most since being at LCA because of how it’s allowed COP to merge in quite heavily.

What Went Well

I feel that from a conceptual point, I got this brief pretty spot on, and no matter how much longer I could spend on the brief, the concept couldn’t become more refined or appropriate to the book or the author.

Given previous projects of mine have “challenged conventions" in more satirical ways (such as WWF Condoms), I was happy to show that I could produce work that was a much more serious undertone to it whilst still being heavily engaged with it, which has been something I’ve struggled with at times, such as in the J2O brief. In this sense I feel like I’ve shown that I’m more than what most people probably see me as, which is something I see as a success on a personal level.

What I'd Change

My lack of experience in producing physical outcomes using different processes has been highlighted in this brief. I didn’t order enough stock to be able to allow for wide enough experimentation in the debossing process and painting or printing with the blood. In hindsight I should definitely not have used stencils for the printing, and instead used the laser cutter to cut out printing blocks to use like a letter press, as this would’ve made for a much neater finish for the lettering on both the poster and the sleeve. I also would’ve liked the debossing to be deeper into the stock to give it more prominence. I would also have painted the areas of the debossing blocks that I wanted blood to run through so that would’ve been printed on with the embossing, making it neater than myself painting it by hand. I feel like I didn’t leave myself enough to time or resources (in terms of stock) to experiment as much as needed to in order to do the concept justice, which I’m slightly upset about in all honesty.

No comments:

Post a Comment